Sunday, April 13, 2008

Meta-pirating: Youtube Soundtrack to Insanity, Part 1.

Alright, I'm sure that we've all heard that lecture about not stealing music, about how the music will be left in tatters if we download it illegally, and don't pay for it, and all that jazz.

Well, I am doing my goddamn part! I absolutely refuse to illegally download music for free of the crime-facilitating network that is the heathen internet. I watch youtube videos that have the music I want to listen to on it instead!

So, I give to you, my non-existent captive audience, the gift that is a taste of my music playlist, to provide you with much needed insight into which group of bands, and which genre of music is guilty of sending demons into my home and controlling my activity during the particular moment during which I type my rantings...


First up, a bit of a two-fer: a song by a band I've never heard of, playing a song that is in no other youtube videos, with episodes of the anime Death Note playing on the screen (not that I actually watch the youtube videos often, but what I've seen of it is pretty decent).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNli5T2hXbM [Project Pitchfork -"Lightwave";Death Note AMV]

Second, is the infinitely less German, and several times more awesome, song by Mastodon. If you have seen the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie, you should be familiar with this song, and the scene depicted, since it was the high point of the entire film.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy3fXI_tsG0 [Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters Intro; Mastodon-"Linoleum Knife"]

Next, I bring to the attention of the court one relatively unknown band called, "Korn", which I believe was a misspelling that they decided to run with in order to not incur the price of reprinting their original record covers. I've even heard rumors that they botched the band name so badly that the "r" was capitalized, and positioned backwards....but they never let that adversity keep them down! Anyway, they offer us this mellow, and tranquil piece, which, if I understand it correctly, was written about accepting your inner self, and the beauty in the world around us:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqRBNNwVF3I [Korn-Here to Stay]

Our fourth piece comes from the depths of musical antiquity: 1989. A heartfelt song, with a haunting melody, sung by a creepy bald dude about hobos. It has all the ingredients of a masterpiece. If only it involved him getting the STDs, it would have attained perfection, but, he falls short in that regard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftlYLcEW_I4 [Phil Collins- Another day in paradise]

The fifth musical entry is a tale of an epic battle , the likes of the world has never before seen. A clash of the Titans. The struggle between the greatest imaginable entities, whose sheer unbridled majesty makes our world shake to its very core. A battle between gods as we know them. The fight to decide the fate of our puny mortal existence.
The Flying Spaghetti Monster vs. The Invisible Pink Unicorn:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TagemN7kkw

And, for a bonus, a give unto you, the invisible, nameless masses, the gift that is the following song by the Bastard Fairies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTOffYj5TxU.
It is the upbeat message that we all know is true in the depths of our hearts, but deny due to our stubborn rationality, and our arrogant detachment from the beauty of existence. It is a cheerful, merry assertion of what is surely to come, of what each and everyone our purposes really is. It is the wonderful, beautiful, and liberating truth that we are all going to Hell. (Bonus: the singer is hot).

Anyway, that is it for this week. Happy non-pirating!

No comments: