Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy end of the decade!

Wow.   Time really does fly.  If I didn't know better, I'd personally swear that it was still 1997 if I didn't vaguely remember celebrating a new millennium popping up at some point in the not so distant past.  So, maybe it's 2002?

Anyway, enough about my inability to keep track of what year it is.  What can we expect to see in the years ahead?  Do we expect Obama to be re-elected?  Do we expect actual progress, whether in regards to the current healthcare bill actually changing things for the better, or in terms of greater acceptance of different sexualities?  Do we expect the economy to finally become stable again?  And do we expect more one-man terrorist attacks like the Fort Hood shooter and this recent failed attempt by a Nigerian man on an airplane?  And do we expect the internet to take an even greater role in our current society, while popular culture at large becomes ever more banal and inane?

I don't know what I personally think about any of that.  Except for popular culture.  I know in my hear tof hearts that popular culture will never become more banal or inane than it is right now.  This is because it is simply not possible, as there is no conceivable way to churn out more prettied-up, unoriginal and essentially meaningless drivel than we are currently being subjected to.  And you better goddamn hope that I am right about that one, because I simply cannot imagine the horrors that will need to be unleashed to make things worse.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that.

Happy New Year Seeker, let's hope there is such a thing as a global consciousness (metaphorically), and we're just crawling our way towards norms which are predicated upon compassion, not dogma.

Asylum Seeker said...

Happy New Year to you too. I would really like to think that the amount of global connectivity we have now due to our increased communications technology (as well as relatively easy transportation between places across the globe) will necessitate decreased dogma and increased understanding/empathy/compassion/what-have-you. I feel that we may have been trending towards that for a while now, and most of the things that we could define as problems are currently being driven by a reaction to this globalization, these slow first steps towards what some might call a united humanity and others might call a New World Order (insert exclamation points at your leisure).

We'll see how that plays out, I guess!

Michael Lockridge said...

A happy new year and decade to all!

I sadly doubt that we have found the end to banality. That is an optimism I cannot embrace. A nice fantasy, but I recommend you brace for the next wave of Whatever Comes Next.

I look forward to watching the Internet change the world during the coming year. It should be interesting, and maybe even dangerous!

Mike

Asylum Seeker said...

"A nice fantasy, but I recommend you brace for the next wave of Whatever Comes Next."

"Whatever Comes Next"= Great name for a new sitcom.

"I look forward to watching the Internet change the world during the coming year. It should be interesting, and maybe even dangerous!"

I too look forward to it, and have a healthy dose of abject terror in regards to the possibilities. I'm betting that the internet is going to affect us in such a wide variety of ways that it is going to be hard to deny its impact, and even harder to say what, specifically, it actually changed.